SCO goes after BSD?

Johnson David DavidJohnson at Siemens.com
Thu Nov 20 10:36:34 PST 2003

On Thursday 20 November 2003 09:37 am, Linh Pham wrote:

> I agree that SCO is full of it and all of the talk about SCO and
> SCO's press releases and quotes are getting out of hand... but
> remember that a lot of BOFHs will hear that SCO may/will be going
> after BSD and will shun it even more like the have with Linux.

Absolutely. The modern press is at fault, with their addiction to sound
bites and easily-digestible news. Melodrama and amateur prognostication
have replaced traditional reporting. Press releases from SCO are
uncritically accepted, while in-depth analysis from the Unix community
is ignored. Because of this, the general public believes SCO's story,
like it or not.

SCO's actions are FUD. And FUD can severly damage a community if
accepted as truth by the general public. BSD will survive, of course,
but I would prefer it to thrive as well.

David