the unix desktop was possible once

Vulpes Velox kitlists at hotpop.com
Sun Nov 9 12:00:03 PST 2003

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 16:51:34 +0100
".VWV." <victorvittorivonwiktow at interfree.it> wrote:

> Bill Moran wrote:
>
> > What would you need in the way of hosting to get this rolling?
>
> I post the last message here about this matter, for further details it would
> be better we post to 'freebsd-chat' or 'freebsd-stable'. Let me know what
> you'll eventually choose.
>
> In my opinion, the best thing would be an official FreeBSD desktop release
> of the packages contained in 4.6.2 or 4.7, excluding gtk 2.x for a while,
> which could be based either on a 4.x or on a 5.x operating system.
> If this shouldn't seem realistic, the only way is the 'adoption' of the
> desktop above by a private enterprise, because there is a lot to do to pack
> an ordinated installation, ready for the end users. At the beginning, a free
> hosting could also be useful.

Why not use 4.9 or 4stable? I see no problem using gtk or gtk+. As long as qt is
advioded I don't see any real problems. Free hosting is largely a must... look
how much various linuxs have managed to totally bungle the idea of creating a
desktop by being commercial.

> I don't think it would be necessary to modify the installation tools, which
> still work like a clock, rather than making a good choice of the useful
> packages. 'End-user' should be intended for longer as a person who reads the
> manuals and knows the command-line [better than me], on a unix system.

Installation tools are cool. Some nicer config tools would go a long way
thought. I am currently working on one to make kernel builds simpler.