Advocacy opportunity in XFree86/xdm/xlogin

Lukas Ertl l.ertl at univie.ac.at
Sat May 31 15:57:11 PDT 2003

On Sat, 31 May 2003, Alexander Pohoyda wrote:

> Well, but wdm is not installed by default, and I have never heard of
> it before. I would consider it a failed advocacy effort :-)

xdm is not installed by default either - you have to install the XFree
package to get it. (But that's nitpicking, ok...)

wdm is the Wings Display Manager, and is sort of the xdm replacement if
you want to have something that fits WindowMaker. It's light and easy.

Why would it be a failed advocacy effort?

> I have just installed that port on 4.8-STABLE, and got an ugly Penguin
> face on my screen!! Thanks, but even XFree86 globe is better for me.

I'm not sure which port you installed, but on my box there's no "Penguin
face".

> After that I had a look at the Beastie pixmap provided by the wdm
> port.
> Well.... I fully admit that the one I proposed before is far from
> perfection, but it looks much better anyway.

I didn't mean to put your artwork down. I just wanted to point out that
there's already something like what you proposed.

> And, BTW, I deinstalled wdm port. That's not something I want to have
> on my machine.

Why that? It doesn't bite.

regards,
le

--=20
Lukas Ertl                             eMail: l.ertl at univie.ac.at
UNIX-Systemadministrator               Tel.:  (+43 1) 4277-14073
Zentraler Informatikdienst (ZID)       Fax.:  (+43 1) 4277-9140
der Universit=E4t Wien                   http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~le/