a public relations opportunity for BSD

Terry Lambert tlambert2 at mindspring.com
Fri May 16 22:01:03 PDT 2003

"Pedro F. Giffuni" wrote:
> Some miscellaneous thoughts I had... What will be the upgrade
> path for SCO's Linux users? What will IBM use to complete AIX
> now that their UNIX license will be revoked? For now I think
> both companies will run far away from free software, but FreeBSD
> is a viable option on both cases and if we had more people
> pointing our fundamental advantages we could see BSD growing
> even more.

IBM generates more patents per year than all other applicants
combined.

If you don't believe that IBM can bend SCO over any time they
want, you are sadly mistaken.  IBM could put SCO totally out
of business any time they wanted.  Just like they could put
everyone else in the U.S. and Japan (the only countries to
honor softtware patents) out of business, any time they wanted
to do so.

If IBM loses access to UNIX, so will SCO.  Count on it.

-- Terry