Brilliant and very useful for FreeBSD, IMHO

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Sun Apr 6 18:46:28 PDT 2003

Long/short syndrome.

On Sunday,  6 April 2003 at 13:55:24 -0700, John Martinez wrote:
> On Sunday, April 6, 2003, at 12:47  PM, Peter wrote:
>
>> Never said anything about changing the GUI, but it does need some
>> work, its hard for normal users to get with it, but I never want to
>> see it become some kind of X11 GUI, I can pretty much go through
>> /stand/sysinstall in my sleep, and thats how I want it to stay.
>
> I tend to agree with this.
>
> The problem is that you are limited by the same GUI environments as
> Linux and every other UNIX operating system.
>
> Not that KDE is bad (I use it a lot still), but a FreeBSD desktop
> would need something to make it "unique" and more appealing to the
> normal user. Lots of eye candy.

I don't think eye candy is the FreeBSD way.  I also don't see any good
reason to have a special "FreeBSD" GUI.  It just means One More Thing
To Learn.

FWIW, there was a contest for a FreeBSD GUI a few years back, when we
had pretty much nothing.  Nobody competed, so we dropped the issue.

> Or else, why would somebody choose DesktopBSD over one of the many
> desktop Linux distributions?

Because it's easier to use?  More reliable?  Faster?

If you think it can't be easier to use than Linux if it has the same
GUI, you're looking in the wrong place.

> I prefer BSD myself, and that's one of the reasons I went with a Mac
> with OS X.

This is probably a good way to go if you like eye candy.

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.