x220 notes

Kevin Oberman kob6558 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 04:25:10 UTC 2012

2012/4/5 Любомир Григоров <nm.knife at gmail.com>:
> Hey Matt, a couple of things, since I am experiencing a different situation
>

>> Yes, it should be possible if your sources are in synchronization with
> world/kernel.
>> Just make the edit and go to /usr/src/sys/modules/acpi/acpi_ibm and type
> make && make install
> I unloaded, recompiled that part, and rebooted, but I see no change for the
> hotkeys. Most still don't work. Only volume mute work, but that worked
> before the change. Trying to change the brightness didn't "corrupt" the
> fan. Neither from hotkeys, nor from acpi_call
>
>> You'll notice that fan speed becomes something ugly after trying to set
> brightness, but everything will work otherwise as far as I have tested.
>> I have found that the machine gets quite hot on its own especially with
> turbo core on the i7 and heavy usage, even with power tuning.
>> Adjusting fan speed could be dangerous, I would certainly keep a close
> eye on temperatures during something like buildworld to be sure.
> On the other side, my temp now drops below 50C to about 46C. The fan goes
> into its lowest spin. I didn't have this before.  At 50C it kicks to next
> step, at 60C it kicks to the crazy speed (usually on compile or 720p video).
>

>  P.S. All tests were done from X with Konstantin's patch on 9.0-STABLE with
> powerd and no other mods. X220 with i5 2520M, BIOS 1.28, IPS, 9cell batter,
> 16GB RAM, Intel 1000-N, SSD.
>
> P.S.S. Workaround for fan corruption can be changing the brightness while
> it boots, before OS starts, function keys work there. But I don't have the
> crazy fan. If by crazy fan you mean not the lowest spin, then I had that
> before LEN change as well.

Are you sure acpi_ibm is actually doing the connect? What do you see
for 'sysctl dev.acpi_ibm'? You should see a list of items, many of
which will be '0', even though they should not be. Things like
'fan_speed'. Setting dev.acpi_ibm.0.mute or dev.acpi_ibm.0.thiklight
to '1' should work.

I think the  hotkeys should default to 2484.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558 at gmail.com