Suspend and resume on Dell E6520

Sebastian Chmielewski chmiels at o2.pl
Mon Nov 7 20:54:52 UTC 2011

On Thu, 3 Nov 2011 15:54:59 +1100 (EST)
Ian Smith <smithi at nimnet.asn.au> wrote:

> Just checking: this is with a kernel built without uhci, ohci and ehci?

8.2-STABLE configured with:
#device ehci
#device ohci
#device ohci
in my kernel config.
{ehci,ohci,uhci}_load="YES" in loader.conf

the same symptoms are for 9.0-BETA2 (official memstick)

> The beep is generated by programming the good old-fashioned timer chip;
> if the laptop normally beeps on boot or error it should beep on resume.
> With this, my Thinkpad T23 (piercingly) beeped for a full 60 seconds on
> resume for months, until learning it was (here) uhci causing that hang.

My laptop is able to beep - echo -e "\007" does a short beep, but there is no
beep on resume.

> You could try setting sysctl hw.acpi.verbose=1 from /etc/sysctl.conf and
> then booting with verbose messages, which logs a lot more detail around
> suspend and resume, which may provide clues (though some of that logging
> obviously occurs after resume succeeds).  Worth also maybe trying sysctl
> hw.syscons.sc_no_suspend_vtswitch=1 which has helped on some laptops.

I did the following:

boot -s (all modules)

kldunload ehci
kldunload ohci
kldunload uhci
kldunload firewire
kldunload nvidia
sysctl hw.acpi.verbose=1
sysctl debug.acpi.resume_beep=1
sysctl hw.syscons.sc_no_suspend_vtswitch=1 (also tried without it)
zzz
(had to press Ctrl-C to go to sleep)
press power button
- cpu fan goes on, screen is blank, no beep
- wait for 3 minutes, nothing changed

next I tried:
- at bootloader: unload, load /boot/kernel/kernel, load
/boot/kernel/{ahci.ko,zfs.ko}
- boot -s
- all sysctl's as above
- zzz (no Ctrl-C needed)
- pressed power button for resume
- nothing happens - no beep, no resume, screen is blank

so ehci,ohci are not the problem here.

This laptop has:
- core i7 processor
- nvidia card (tried to suspend&resume without nvidia.ko, no luck)
- encrypted hard drive (tried to suspend&resume without it, still no luck)

best regards,
--
Sebastian Chmielewski * jid:chmielsster at gmail.com * gg:3336919 * icq:224161389