Atom N270 - ACPI Error: [RTMP] Namespace lookup failure

Andriy Gapon avg at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 29 19:45:07 UTC 2011

on 29/06/2011 21:01 Ed VanderPloeg said the following:
> On 2011-06-29 2:38 AM, Andriy Gapon wrote:
>> on 29/06/2011 01:07 Ed VanderPloeg said the following:
>>> I'm using an Aaeon AEC-6831 embedded system based on an Intel Atom N270, which
>>> uses their GENE-9455 motherboard.  After updating the BIOS to enable ACPI, I'm
>>> now getting the following (verbose) console message during boot and every 10
>>> seconds thereafter:
>>>
>>> ACPI Error: [RTMP] Namespace lookup failure, AE_NOT_FOUND (20101013/psargs-464)
>>> ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed [\_TZ_.THRM._TMP] (Node 0xc56b0760),
>>> AE_NOT_FOUND (20101013/psparse-633)
>>> acpi_tz0: error fetching current temperature -- AE_NOT_FOUND
>>
>> The problem is that RTMP is defined as an external object:
>> External (RTMP, IntObj)
>> so it's supposed to come from an additional table, but apparently either no
>> additional table defines it or a necessary additional table is not loaded.
>> This could be either a BIOS problem or... something else :)
>
> Aaeon tech support has now stated that the errors are from a faulty BIOS, and
> that AWARD will eventually release an update to fix this.

OK.

>>> The unit seems to run very warm which makes me wonder if this problem is
>>> preventing lower power states, if such things are related.
>>>
>>> I've collected the outputs from a verbose dmesg, from sysctl hw.acpi, and from
>>> acpidump.  They are zipped up over here:
>>>
>>> http://www.agilecontrols.com/post/aec6831_acpi.zip
>>
>> Try either recent stable/8 or head (aka CURRENT) and see if it helps.  They
>> contain a change that may be a work-around for a BIOS (ACPI tables) like yours.
>
> I'll give stable/8 a try.
>
> Does this error indicate something potentially harmful, or if it is benign?  I
> can silence the messages easy enough until a BIOS update comes out.

Actually I was speaking about potentially making est driver attach on your
system.  I also suspected that RTMP might have gotten loaded from the same
dynamic table that is related to est attachment issue, but apparently that was
not going to happen.

--
Andriy Gapon