Atom N270 - ACPI Error: [RTMP] Namespace lookup failure

Ed VanderPloeg edv at agile.bc.ca
Tue Jun 28 22:20:08 UTC 2011

I'm using an Aaeon AEC-6831 embedded system based on an Intel Atom N270,
which uses their GENE-9455 motherboard.  After updating the BIOS to
enable ACPI, I'm now getting the following (verbose) console message
during boot and every 10 seconds thereafter:

ACPI Error: [RTMP] Namespace lookup failure, AE_NOT_FOUND
(20101013/psargs-464)
ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed [\_TZ_.THRM._TMP] (Node
0xc56b0760), AE_NOT_FOUND (20101013/psparse-633)
acpi_tz0: error fetching current temperature -- AE_NOT_FOUND

The unit seems to run very warm which makes me wonder if this problem is
preventing lower power states, if such things are related.

I've collected the outputs from a verbose dmesg, from sysctl hw.acpi,
and from acpidump.  They are zipped up over here:

http://www.agilecontrols.com/post/aec6831_acpi.zip

I've also included datasheets of the system and motherboard in case they
are useful.

I ran the asl file through iasl and noticed 3 errors and 1 warning
seemingly unrelated to this problem.  I fixed these problems good enough
to get rid of the compiler messages and loaded the aml file for the next
boot, but the behaviour didn't change.

The system is on my bench for development right now, so I'm able to poke
around and try things.  For now I've simply reduced the ACPI messages to
weekly with

# sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.polling_rate = 604800

By the way, what happens with a polling_rate of 0?  I tried this and the
messages stopped, then changed it back to 10 seconds but the messages
never came back again...

Ed VanderPloeg