MacBookPro 5,1

Jud judmarc at fastmail.fm
Fri Nov 5 20:31:44 UTC 2010

On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 16:14 -0400, "Jung-uk Kim" <jkim at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 October 2010 06:09 am, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > My MacBookPro 5,1 does not boot using -current because memory
> > inside the ACPI kernel module is used after free.
> >
> > The following patch temporily mitigates the problem:
> >
> > /usr/src/sys/dev/acpica/Osd/OsdMemory.c
> >
> > void
> > AcpiOsFree(void *Memory)
> > {
> > + if (cold == 0)
> >     free(Memory, M_ACPICA);
> > }
> >
> > Is there any way to debug this from user-land?
>
> FYI, this problem should be fixed in r214848.
>
> While I am here, I'd like to give many thanks to hps for trying out
> patches, to avg for the great in-depth analysis and initial patch, to
> ACPICA developers for continuous support and invaluable comments!
>
> Thank you, all folks!

Let me add my grateful thanks (to Jung-uk Kim as well).  I've been
looking forward to installing FreeBSD on my MacBook Pro 5,5 for quite a
while, and to judge from various forums, so have other owners of certain
MacBook Pro models.

Jud
--
"I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day." - Douglas Adams