Disabling the thermal zones

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at acm.org
Mon Mar 22 19:56:18 UTC 2010

On 2010-Mar-19 21:52:15 -0700, Adrian Higgs <nx_dark_one at yahoo.com> wrote:
>I've got a constant annoyance on my hands, the acpi module keeps
>forcing my laptop to shutdown due to its thermal limits. Is there any
>way I can disable the thermal monitor for this module?

As mentioned, your first step is to work out why you are getting ACPI
shutdown events by reviewing the output from "sysctl hw.acpi.thermal"
and also confirm that the shutdowns really are spurious - dust buildup
on CPU cooling fins is fairly common and there have been issues in the
past where incorrect amounts of heatsink compound resulted in overheating.

It _is_ possible to alter the ACPI thermal limits by first setting
hw.acpi.thermal.user_override=1 but you need to be confident that you
aren't masking a real problem or you could damage your laptop.

--
Peter Jeremy