Funny battery values (nx6325)

Joerg Wunsch j at uriah.heep.sax.de
Mon Mar 15 21:20:28 UTC 2010

As Garrett Cooper wrote:

> > I think the 2 A are realistic. With a 5100 mAh capacity, it should
> > result in somewhat more than 2 hours of run time (maybe more if the
> > laptop eventually goes idle, and reduces CPU speed).

> If you were pulling 2 A, that's be the same approximate amount as
> many 2 x 1U servers.

Remember, this is measured at 10.8 V (or whatever the actual value is)
battery voltage...  The laptop is running on batteries here, how
should it be able to measure the mains voltage/current?  (Despite, the
mains part of the supply is completely decoupled by the PSU.)

This is what I'm getting on an old TP600E machine:

dhcp208# acpiconf -i 0
Design capacity:        34560 mWh
Last full capacity:     14080 mWh
Technology:             secondary (rechargeable)
Design voltage:         10800 mV
Capacity (warn):        1728 mWh
Capacity (low):         345 mWh
Low/warn granularity:   1 mWh
Warn/full granularity:  1 mWh
Model number:           ThinkPad Battery
Serial number:
Type:                   LION
OEM info:               IBM Corporation
State:                  discharging
Remaining capacity:     99%
Remaining time:         1:18
Present rate:           10641 mW
Voltage:                11850 mV

10.6 W / 11.85 V = 0.9 A  (the machine was idle here)

No idea why the Thinkpad is returning Watts instead of Amperes, as
most other ACPI BIOSes do.