Cannot suspend system.

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Sat Mar 13 07:33:43 UTC 2010

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010, Tim Matthews wrote:
 > On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Jung-uk Kim <jkim at freebsd.org> wrote:
 >

 > > The error message says one of the device drivers failed to suspend
 > > properly.  When that happens, acpi(4) refuses to suspend for "better
 > > safer than sorry" reason.  You can try one thing, though.  Remove all
 > > non-essential device drivers from kernel configuration and build a
 > > bare minimum kernel, which is just enough to boot your machine.
 > >

 > I have removed just about everything and made sure there wasn't anything
 > lying around in loader.conf too.  The suspend still fails.
 >
 > Is there anything else that can be done?

You could try turning on hw.acpi.verbose in sysctl.conf (I noticed it
was off), booting with verbose messages on, then looking at the messages
before, during and after attempting to suspend.  This may show something
about some particular device that won't or can't suspend, that you could
then show us.

/var/run/dmesg.boot (verbose) may also contain some related clues.

cheers, Ian