FreeBSD 8.0 hangs on boot with ACPI enabled

Joerg Wunsch j at uriah.heep.sax.de
Thu Jan 7 23:02:35 UTC 2010

As John Baldwin wrote:

> Wait, does disabling acpi_thermal change the system resource
> settings such at ahc now works even with sysres not disabled?  That
> is weird!

No, both are unrelated.  So right now, I have both, thermal and sysres
in the disabled list.  Using this, the entire system now at least
works.

(But it used to work including the ACPI thermal stuff in the past.)

> As far as debugging the acpi_thermal hang I think you would want to
> add some printfs to the acpi_thermal kthreads to narrow down where
> the hang occurs.

OK, I'll have a closer look at that within the next days.

Meanwhile, further ideas how to fix the ahc0 resource allocation are
welcome (or a definitive decision that it's a resource allocation bug
in my BIOS, so disabling sysres is the most appropriate workaround
anyway).