Call for testers acpi_dell

Daniel Walter d.walter at 0x90.at
Fri Feb 12 20:12:57 UTC 2010

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010, Jung-uk Kim wrote:

> On Friday 12 February 2010 02:37 pm, Daniel Walter wrote:

>>> I see.  However, my point is the probe function does not seem
>>> specific to Dell laptops.  In fact, you are just checking _BCL
>>> transition, i.e., effectively it just makes a generic acpi_video
>>> notify handler for brightness change.
>>>
>>> Jung-uk Kim
>>
>> Oh, I've completly overlooked this one. Sorry for that, I should
>> replace the probing with a Dell specific probing instead. Do you
>> have any suggestions to this one ?
>
> It totally depends on DSDT of your laptop model and you will have to
> maintain the list of these ACPI handles, unfortunately.  Please see
> acpi_asus.c for example.
>
> If you are interested in generic acpi_video(4) enhancement, you just
> need to extend acpi_video.c to get these notifications, i.e., 0x86
> and 0x87.  FYI, acpi_video can only handle 0x80 and 0x81 events ATM.
> Please read ACPI specification Appendix B. Video Extensions,
> especially B.6 and B.7 are what you are looking for.
>
> Jung-uk Kim
Hi I'll take a look at my DSDT again ...

I've also will take a look at Appendix B of the current ACPI spec to see if 0x86 and 0x87 are OEM or part of the standard. If they are not completly out of spec I'll patch acpi_video(4) and send it again to the list.

thanks for your help and hints.

Daniel WALTER