suspend to disk

Christof Schulze christof.schulze at gmx.com
Mon Feb 8 23:13:36 UTC 2010

Hello everyone

today I tried whether my samsung q35 laptop would suspend using acpiconf on
RELENG_8. I was amazed that acpiconf -s3 works out of the box. However
acpiconf -s4 does not work which would be the useful side of hibernation for
me.

From the manpage of acpiconf I understand that acpiconf -s4 should store the
non-cache-parts from ram somewhere on disk. If called the system shuts down
without writing much on the disk so something is odd there.
I have 2,5 gb of ram and only 800MB of swap space which is labeled correctly.
What do I have to do in order to make suspend to disk work?
Is it possible to compress the contents of the ram like some programs from the
linuxworld do it (tuxonice)?
Or did I entirely miss some configuration here?

Please cc me while replying to this email as I am not on the freebsd-acpi
list. I do track -stable though.

kind regards

Christof