amd64/138210: [acpi] acer aspire 5536 ACPI problems (S3, brightness, hotkeys)

Dmitriy Demidov dima_bsd at inbox.lv
Sat Dec 11 21:50:12 UTC 2010

The following reply was made to PR amd64/138210; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dmitriy Demidov <dima_bsd at inbox.lv>
To: bug-followup at freebsd.org,
 avg at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: amd64/138210: [acpi] acer aspire 5536 ACPI problems (S3, brightness, hotkeys)
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 21:26:11 +0000

 > Is this still an issue?
 > Can you try upcoming 8.2 prerelease/beta/RC (whatever is available at the
 > time of trying) or a CURRENT snapshot?
 >
 > --
 > Andriy Gapon

 Hi Andriy

 Some of old problems is still here.
 I have got today's CURRENT and retested this ACPI stuff again.

 - acpicontrol -s 3
 In pure console I can put my notebook in S3 state. After that it wakes up if I
 press any keyboard key or notebook's power button, but screen (console) is
 inactive (backlight of the screen is on) and I can not use keyboard. I can
 get console back by pushing power button one more time, or by pussing
 Fn+BrightnessUP key combination. After that my touchpad/mouse is still
 inactive. I can get touchpad back using it's on/off swith (it is connected to
 USB, and after on/off cicle system find it).

 In Xorg (KDE3) I can put my notebook in S3 state. After that it wakes up if I
 press any keyboard key or notebook's power button, but screen (console) is
 inactive (backlight is off) and I can not use keyboard. I can get console
 back by pushing power button one more time, or by pussing Fn+BrightnessUP key
 combination. After that my touchpad/mouse is still inactive. I can get
 touchpad back using it's on/off swith.

 In both cases sysctl parametr: hw.acpi.reset_video=1

 In both cases I can see this error message on console:
 ACPI Error: No handler or method for GPE[0x 6], disabling event
 (20101013/evgpe-734)

 - Functional keys (brightness/sleep/mute/volume)
 This Fn keys still don't work nativly. I'm missing brightness control and
 sleep. All other keys are working now using different "keyboard tools" from
 ports. I can see that brightness is working while I'm in BIOS, but it stops
 working just after FreeBSD kernel is loaded...

 - Battery status
 Looks like that battery indicators works now! I can see from sysctl output
 mesurments or capacity, remained time and status of power and battery.

 uname -a
 FreeBSD darktower.local.home 9.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT #0: Sat Dec 11
 17:38:35 EET 2010     root at darktower.local.home:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CURRENT
 amd64

 GENERIC with addition of:
 ident           CURRENT