Spurious thermal shutdowns on Dell Studio 1557

Bartosz Fabianowski freebsd at chillt.de
Tue Apr 6 12:49:49 UTC 2010

> I think some of the frequencies, provided by acpi_throttle and TCC are
> slowing down your machine without really cooling the CPU.

After a couple of days of testing, I believe this did the trick. I
reduced the number of frequencies as per Alexandre's tip. I also swapped
_PSV and _CRT for good measure (_PSV is now 85°C and _CRT 95°C).

I just rebuilt OpenOffice.org, using a parallel build that stresses all
cores. The machine did not overheat. The highest temperature it reached
was 84°C for a few minutes. This is still high but not too high.

I will try hoovering the air vents and keep my eye on things. If they
stay stable from here, I will not be bothering with Dell support.

Thanks for all the tips,
- Bartosz