FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE boot freeze

kama kama at pvp.se
Mon Oct 19 11:24:08 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2 Oct 2009, kama wrote:

> > > Do you get this message in all cases? That is, every time you tried?
> > > Or only with ACPI_DEBUG defined?
> >
> > I cant recall. I have tried so many things lately. But I believe I get it
> > on a verbose boot without ACPI_DEBUG.
> >
> > Im currently rebuilding the system to 8.0.
>
> Just upgrading to 8.0 did not help regarding the freezes.
>
> I ran into the bge freeze bug too when disabling acpi.
>
> I then read the acpi-manpage abit more carefully.
>
> With ACPI_DEBUG and debug.acpi.disabled="timer" in loader.conf and verbose
> boot seems to help against the freeze and freezes again if I dont run it
> in verbose mode. But thats just after 5 starts. Anyhow its better.
>
> loader.conf:
> debug.acpi.disabled="timer"
> debug.acpi.layer="ACPI_ALL_COMPONENTS"
> debug.acpi.level="ACPI_LV_VERBOSE,ACPI_LV_VERBOSITY3,ACPI_LV_VERBOSITY1,ACPI_LV_ALL_EXCEPTIONS"

I just wanted to bump this. After the checkout yesterday and installation
today I still get these freezes.

# cat /boot/loader.conf
hw.bge.allow_asf="0"

hw.acpi.verbose="1"
debug.acpi.max_threads="1"
debug.acpi.disabled="timer"

debug.acpi.layer="ACPI_ALL_COMPONENTS"
debug.acpi.level="ACPI_LV_VERBOSE,ACPI_LV_VERBOSITY3,ACPI_LV_VERBOSITY1,ACPI_LV_ALL_EXCEPTIONS"
#

With this setup and with an GENERIC kernel I am able to boot if I choose a
verbose boot.

I dont know why it should work with these. If I only use
debug.acpi.disabled="timer" it will freeze.

Is there anyway for me to get more info when it exactly freezes. Like
having it print out to the screen when it enters and leaves functions or
something. Im not to familiar with where to put these and its "quite" a
large project for me to start to understand where everything goes. If
someone wants to give me patches or specify which files to alter and how I
print to the screen during boot I might be able to pinpoint where it
freezes and mail in the results.

/Bjorn