suspend help

Damian Gerow dgerow at afflictions.org
Tue Nov 3 16:51:25 UTC 2009

Steve Franks wrote:
: I was told on freebsd-questions a couple months back that
: suspend/resume support is broken on SMP kernels, which is pretty much
: all my systems in the era of dual-core.  Assuming that is not my
: problem (on amd64 on this particular system),

I believe that's only true for i386.  I currently use S3 sleep without issue
regularly, on an SMP amd64 laptop.

Which branch are you using?

: Anyway, when I call acipconf -s3 (in single-user mode or console), my
: screen flashes black, then comes right back to where is was, but the
: system is locked.  I'm disabling usb, my wifi, linux, and snd_hda in
: rc.suspend, so I'm probably off on the wrong track, since I can't
: think of anything else to disable...

Are you in X at the time?  Could you look into setting up something like
textdump(4) to see if your system is panicing?