powerd on multi-core cpus

Wayne Sierke ws at au.dyndns.ws
Fri Jun 5 18:00:02 UTC 2009

Hi,

I recently tried powerd for the first time and I'm wondering whether a
couple of aspects of its behaviour are considered usual.

First is that the load value displayed by powerd ranges to a maximum of
#cpus x 100%, e.g. 200% on a dual-core opteron and 400% on a dual-core
atom with Hyper-threading.

Second is that in the default adaptive mode, the 'wanted freq' ranges to
a maximum of #cores x max-freq, e.g. 3618MHz on a dual-core opteron with
a max-freq of 1809MHz, and 3236MHz on a dual-core atom with a max-freq
of 1618MHz.

These were seen with 7.2-STABLE i386. I found it somewhat
counter-intuitive since powerd rejects configuration settings for load
thresholds of more than 100%, e.g.:
# powerd -v -r 125
powerd: 125 is not a valid percent

Is this how powerd is expected to behave or is there something amiss
with my setups?

Thanks,

Wayne