Fwd: laptop doesn't power off

Tim Matthews tim.matthews7 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 22:30:11 UTC 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Tim Matthews <tim.matthews7 at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 10:29 AM
Subject: Re: laptop doesn't power off
To: Ian Smith <smithi at nimnet.asn.au>

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 3:19 AM, Ian Smith <smithi at nimnet.asn.au> wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Aug 2009, b. f. wrote:
>  > On 8/11/09, Tim Matthews <tim.matthews7 at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >
>  > > I have tried different combinations of a lot of things and powering
> off not
>  > > working, everything else working fine with no sign of acpi errors in
> logs.
>  > > acpiconf -s 1 (or any other number) operation not supported. I am now
> very
>  > > sure that my bios is up to date. Is there any thing that can be done
> to make
>  > > freebsd's acpi behave like linux's acpi?
>
> [..]
>
>  > Also, have you tried FreeBSD 8 to see if that works for you?
>  >
>  > In the meantime, you can safely power down your machine by running
>  > 'shutdown -h now', and then manually cutting power.  A bit of a
>  > nuisance, but not the end of the world.
>
> That was my suggestion too, but I'm still not clear whether 'shutdown -h
> now' works on Tim's Sony, especially when the message Tim referenced, ie
>  http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-acpi/2007-October/004162.html
> said that on that poster's Toshiba M40:
>
>    - shutdown -r: works properly
>    - shutdown -h: halts the system normally; pressing a key to reboot
>      works; the power button does not work--it is necessary to remove
>      the battery to shut the machine off
>    - shutdown -p: shuts down the operating system, but does not turn
>      the power off; the power button does not work--it is necessary
>      to remove the battery to shut the machine off
>
> If 'shutdown -h now' does work - to the extent that the power button
> then works without battery removal - then it's a different scenario.
>
> cheers, Ian

After a halt I can still hold power button down to turn off my laptop so
maybe a little different then. I'm gona try to find time to recompile my
kernel. It has become a lot harder to things like that since my screen broke
and I mainly use the external vga connector once X has started but that's
another story.