laptop doesn't power off

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Tue Aug 11 17:38:41 UTC 2009

> Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 16:49:41 +0000
> From: "b. f." <bf1783 at googlemail.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-acpi at freebsd.org
>
> On 8/11/09, Ian Smith <smithi at nimnet.asn.au> wrote:
>
> > If 'shutdown -h now' does work - to the extent that the power button
> > then works without battery removal - then it's a different scenario.
>
> It seems to be the same scenario -- at least with regards to the
> powerdown not working -- although we cannot know if it is for the same
> reason without more debugging information.  My reading of Tim's first
> post is that after a halt ('shutdown -h now' is just a 'halt' with a
> slightly more graceful exit), toggling the power button failed to turn
> off the machine.

It might also be worth mentioning that you can ALMOST always force a
system to power down by pressing and holding the power button for 5
seconds. This has always worked for me and is pretty fundamental, but
it is claimed that there is an exception to every rule. (Some systems
allow this to be disabled in BIOS, though.)

In any case, this is easier than pulling the battery.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)