laptop doesn't power off

b. f. bf1783 at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 11 09:57:36 UTC 2009

On 8/11/09, Tim Matthews <tim.matthews7 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have tried different combinations of a lot of things and powering off not
> working, everything else working fine with no sign of acpi errors in logs.
> acpiconf -s 1 (or any other number) operation not supported. I am now very
> sure that my bios is up to date. Is there any thing that can be done to make
> freebsd's acpi behave like linux's acpi?

Looking at http://www.lesswatts.org/projects/acpi/ , it appears that
both Linux and FreeBSD use ACPICA.  So we could check to see if Linux
has made any changes to their imported sources, and how they handle
the power-down. From what you have told us, it appears that your
machine is failing at some stage in calling three functions:

AcpiEnterSleepStatePrep(ACPI_STATE_S5);
ACPI_DISABLE_IRQS();
AcpiEnterSleepState(ACPI_STATE_S5);

We could specifically compare the handling of these three functions in
FreeBSD and Linux, if you know that your computer works under Linux.
If you want to enable debugging as I mentioned in a previous message
(the one where you compile kernel and modules with ACPI_DEBUG, which
can give us a lot more information than even hw.acpi.verbose=1), we
can learn more about exactly where the problem occurs.

There are a couple of other things you can try:  if you think that a
certain piece of hardware is connected with the problem (again, we
would know more if debugging was enabled), you can try:

1) physically removing the hardware;
2) going into the BIOS setup and disabling the hardware, if possible; or
3) disabling the ACPI subsystem that handles that hardware via /boot/loader.conf

Also, have you tried FreeBSD 8 to see if that works for you?

In the meantime, you can safely power down your machine by running
'shutdown -h now', and then manually cutting power.  A bit of a
nuisance, but not the end of the world.

b.