laptop doesn't power off

Glen Barber glen.j.barber at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 14:38:07 UTC 2009

On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 10:32 AM, Tim Matthews<tim.matthews7 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 2:16 AM, Glen Barber <glen.j.barber at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> What happens when you run 'shutdown -p now' at the console?
>
> Clears screen disables everything including the otherwise work-anytime
> button that I can hold down but doesn't actually power-off requiring me to
> remove battery and unplug cord. The shutdown routine acts pretty normal and
> it is only at the very last step which would be on blank screen then power
> is lost about a second or less later.

Does this happen if you disable ACPI at boot?

>> Can you boot with verbose logging next startup, and see if anything
>> important/useful is displayed next shutdown?
>
> I have tried this before and didn't notice anything unusual but I will try
> to post log files within next 24 hours. Would the FS have been unmounted at
> the point of error anyway?

If you are using UFS2, by default if the filesystems were not cleanly
unmounted, the machine would run fsck_ufs at boot.  You would notice
this happen because (normally) it would cause lag on the machine.

> Because the screen is blanked log files are what
> I can give nothing on screen. Is the file /var/log/messages the one we
> should be looking at.

If the filesystem is already unmounted, no.  It cannot write to
/var/log/messages at this point.

--
Glen Barber