Workaround pci-pci bridge resources

William Grzybowski william88 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 14:46:01 UTC 2009

Almost a year and a half ago I did report a problem with my laptop and ACPI, which was unable to allocate resources for my NIC (msk).
Which you can see here: http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-acpi/2007-August/003968.html

Today I was seeing some code to understand a little bit more about how ACPI works (pci host, bridge etc).

Then I tried some workaround for my problem, allocating resource for the PCI-PCI Bridge when attaching, and surprise, it's workng now.

As I can understund so far, the devices passes the allocation to their parent recursively until some of them can handle it, am I right? So doing this is not the right way to solve the problem and I am forcing a memory resource and being active even if there is no device attached to its bridge, but maybe it could help for now...
Or would pcib_alloc_resource not handling it correctly as pcib1 parent is pci0?

Any thoughts?

PATCH: http://dev.agencialivre.com.br/pub/patch_pci-pci-bridge.txt

Thanks!