6.x acpi powerbutton

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Fri Apr 10 01:12:11 PDT 2009

Let me introduce freebsd-acpi at freebsd.org

> Is there a reason it doesn't send and event like Linux that can be acted
> upon by user space other
> than signaling init? I like to have a message written in
> /var/log/messages that someone pressed
> the powerbutton.

I think that for all suspend states except S5 userland is notified via
devd mechanism and potentially can veto the suspend. S5 (soft-off) is
coded to start shutdown immediately. You can try to hack on
acpi_ReqSleepState in sys/dev/acpica/acpi.c.

I am not sure what is the reason for this special behavior of S5. But I
like it, because it sometimes allows me to perform semi-clean shutdown
when X goes crazy. But I also see when it could be useful to have S5
request go through userland. So this could be configurable.

--
Andriy Gapon