Writing a driver: how do I get resources?

Nate Lawson nate at root.org
Wed Sep 24 04:44:12 UTC 2008

Wilkinson, Alex wrote:
>     0n Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 11:05:58AM -0700, Nate Lawson wrote:
>
>     >The Sony driver is somewhat special in that it's not on a standard bus,
>     >it's proprietary.  Same goes for the IBM, Panasonic, etc. power
>     >management drivers.  For Windows, the OEM even writes this driver, not
>     >Microsoft.
>
> What are the best laptops to use with freebsd then ? i.e the ones that dont have
> a proprietary bus ?

You misunderstood.  What I'm saying is that all laptops have proprietary
 OEM drivers for features like hotkeys, backlight, etc.  That includes
Acer, IBM/Lenovo, Toshiba, Panasonic, Sony, etc.  The "hardware" you're
accessing via those ACPI methods is actually the BIOS itself, which then
talks to the chipset and GPIO pins to perform the requests.  So there's
no PCI bus or other open interface to configure these.

Your best bet is to implement the _SRS stuff the way John was suggesting.

--
Nate