Freebsd 7-stable on Asus Pro31j - acpi poweroff

Mark Kirkwood markir at paradise.net.nz
Tue May 27 00:07:41 UTC 2008

I've recently obtained one of these laptops. While the basics work well,
there are a few niggles, one of which is acpi poweroff:

Powering down the laptop from Gnome, or command line 'shutdown -p now'
results in a blank screen immediately after the acpi poweroff message (I
*think* it's immediately afterwards, it blanks so quickly I can't be
sure). However, the machine is still powered, and fans still running, so
I have to actually power it off by holding down the power button.

I see a few errors during boot:

acpi0: Power Button (fixed)
unknown: I/O range not supported
unknown: I/O range not supported
acpi0: reservation of 0, a0000 (3) failed
acpi0: reservation of 100000, 7ff00000 (3) failed

but the basic stuff is detected:

acpi_lid0: <Control Method Lid Switch> on acpi0
acpi_button0: <Power Button> on acpi0
acpi_button1: <Sleep Button> on acpi0
acpi_tz0: <Thermal Zone> on acpi0
acpi_acad0: <AC Adapter> on acpi0
battery0: <ACPI Control Method Battery> on acpi0

Full dmesg is here:

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/markir/download/freebsd/zul.dmesg

The acpi sysctls and dump are here:

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/markir/download/freebsd/zul.acpi
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/markir/download/freebsd/zul.asl.gz

I looked at recompiling the asl, and it has a few warnings, but no errors:

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/markir/download/freebsd/zul.asl.recompile

Finally the results of pciconf -lv are here:

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/markir/download/freebsd/zul.pciconf

Any suggestions welcome!

regards

Mark