Wake-on-LAN requires hard power-off

Kent Hauser kent at khauser.net
Mon Mar 31 22:00:33 PDT 2008

Hi,

I'm trying to get wake-on-lan working on a dual-boot (FreeBSD 7-stable/XP)
machine & am having a problem. I am using an eMachines MB with a Intel
PRO/1000 NIC. I enabled WOL using the Intel utility.

Under XP,  WOL is just fine. Works as expected.

Under FreeBSD, after "halt -p" the HUB LED comes on (low-speed) indicating
NIC power, but the machine doesn't respond to WOL requests. However, if I
remove the power cord from the machine for a while, it will restart with
WOL.

I'm running 7-stable. I don't have any information about previous versions.

Thanks for the input.

Kent