ACPI Problem: "acpi_tz0:_TMP value is absurd"

B J top_gun_canada at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 12 19:41:56 UTC 2008

I located a file for upgrading the BIOS of my Compaq
desktop machine but it requires Windows to install it.
 I deleted the Windows that came with the machine
several months ago, so, for now, that option is out.

I created a file with the following commands:

sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.user_override=1
sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.polling_rate=1800
sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.user_override=0

and run it right after logging in as root using:

source xxxx

where xxxx is the file name.

The message:

acpi_tz0: _TMP value is absurd, ignored (-269.8C)

still appears, but not as often.  I could, of course,
adjust it later if temperature might become a problem
but, for now, the machine isn't on long enough for
that to be a concern.  It still doesn't fix the
problem of an incorrect temperature, but at least I
can read my monitor without it being cluttered with
those messages.

BMJ