Fujitsu P8010: est: CPU supports Enhanced Speedstep, but is not recognized

Yousif Hassan yousif at alumni.jmu.edu
Fri Feb 29 15:49:53 UTC 2008

On Friday 29 February 2008, Anish Mistry wrote:
> On Friday 29 February 2008, Yousif Hassan wrote:
> > Anish Mistry wrote:
> >> I got a new Fujitsu P8010 and est doesn't seem to attach to my
> >> dual core processor since it doesn't recognize the CPU.  My
> >> dmesg is linked at the end of the email.  Is there anything I
> >> can do to add it?

<snip>

>>Anish, are you running amd64?  This seems to be a recurring theme
>>with amd64, based on some research I did and based on my anecdotal
>> evidence.
>Yes, I'm running amd64.

If you're willing, try an i386 kernel and see if the est driver attaches.
If using i386 isn't a non-starter for you, that's a workaround.

That said, I still hope someone who knows this stuff can comment on this
definitively.  It seems odd that i386 attaches est fine, but amd64 doesn't.

--Yousif