amd64 S3 patch on HP 6715b: NICs won't work after resume from S3

Coleman Kane cokane at FreeBSD.org
Mon Dec 29 19:41:57 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-12-29 at 08:19 -0800, Nate Lawson wrote:
> Coleman Kane wrote:
> > I've been testing Jung-uk Kim's recent amd64 suspend patch on my HP
> > notebook, and it seems to be very close to working well.
> >
> > The notebook goes into S3 state properly, but when it comes back out it
> > seems that the hardware is left in a bad state. I cannot attach my
> > if_bge and if_ndis network drivers after a resume.
>
> Dump the pci config register states for those devices both before and
> after the resume. Where the bits differ is probably where you'll find
> the problem.
>
> Example to read 256 bytes:
>   pciconf -r pci0:4:0 0:256

Tried that, and I also tried to use pciconf -w to set the registers to
the initial state of the hardware before if_bge is loaded. I still get
the following messages when I attempt to reload the kld after the
resume, followed by a failed attach:

  bge0: <Broadcom BCM5754/5787 A2, ASIC rev. 0xb002> mem 0xd0000000-0xd000ffff irq 16 at device 0.0 on pci16
  bge0: firmware handshake timed out, found 0x4b657654
  bge0: firmware handshake timed out, found 0x4b657654
  bge0: RX CPU self-diagnostics failed!
  bge0: chip initialization failed
  device_attach: bge0 attach returned 6

Anyone have success with S3 on amd64 or i386 with if_bge cards?

--
Coleman Kane