Problem on AMD64

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Sun Dec 21 15:49:15 PST 2008

> Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 22:31:04 +0100
> From: David van Kuijk <dynasore at bigfoot.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-acpi at freebsd.org
>
> Thanks for the responses so far.
>
> I would be happy with S3. I am however a little confused about the
> abilities of  my server as reported by sysctl hw.acpi.
>
> As commented below this line suggests that no other states than S4/S5
> are supported:
> hw.acpi.supported_sleep_state: S4 S5
>
> But this is also listed:
> hw.acpi.standby_state: S1
> hw.acpi.suspend_state: S3
>
> Are these last two overridden by the first, meaning that S3 is not
> available from my BIOS???

Yes. FreeBSD, by default, sets up standby as S1 and suspend to S3 because
almost all BIOSes support these states. Yours is the first BIOS I have
seen that does not do S1. That is really odd.

In any case, you have no available ways to cut power when your system is
really idle other than powering off. Of course, you may be able to do
some power saving with powerd and EST if your BIOS and CPU support those.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)