Is ACPI v3 support available or planned for FreeBSD 7-stable or 8-release?

Edward Hirsel edward_a_hirsel at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 25 18:25:18 UTC 2008

  I have a Dell Inspiron 1526 laptop.   It has 2 AMD Turion 64 TL-62
processors.  Is ACPI v3 support going to be enabled on a future freebsd7-stable or 8-release ?
  The reason I ask  is that I can load openbsd 4.3 i386 on it;
even though it only the UP version loads, when I set the processor in the
lowest powernow run state (the apm driver refers to it as cool perf mode),
the battery can last approx 3 hrs.  The amd64 version of openbsd 4.3 with
the  MP version loads and behaves the same way.

However pcbsd7 alpha (and freebsd v7 realease, as well as pcbsd1.5/freebsd 6.3) only
reports a max battery life of about one and a half hours.  Is this an acpi
issue, or is it something else, such as a powernow driver issue.  With OpenBSD there is support for powernow K8, which I think K8 means athalon/turion 64bit processors.

I can help test out changes to acpi, if needed, with reagrds to amd64 turion processors, as I have a Toshiba Satallite A215 model as well as the Dell 1526.

Regards,

Edward A. Hirsel