[solved ?] i386/79080: acpi thermal changes freezes HP nx6110

Frederic Chardon chardon.frederic at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 13:15:57 PST 2007

Hello,

I found a workaround to avoid freeze while change _ACx state on
nx6110. In kernel, use
options         SCHED_ULE
device          apic
options         AUTO_EOI_1
options         AUTO_EOI_2

ULE and apic allow the freeze to last only a few second (without it, I
never waited more than 10 minutes but I supposed it can be long...).
AUTO_EOI_1 and AUTO_EOI_2 have no impact without ULE and apic.
Separately they don't have noticeable effect.

Now when changing thermal mode the number of interrupts dropped from
3000 to around 50. Here is what I obtain after repeated cycles of big
CPU activity / idle time (thanks boinc, it is very usefull to quickly
make heat).

$21:51|fredzio@/home::>vmstat -i
interrupt                          total       rate
irq1: atkbd0                       15716          1
irq9: acpi0                         7293          0
irq12: psm0                         1492          0
irq14: ata0                       121152         10
irq16: bfe0 drm0                   34598          3
irq22: fwohci0                         3          0
irq23: uhci0 ehci0                136853         12
cpu0: timer                     22099902       1999
Total                           22417009       2028

I still don't know if the acpi table is buggy, when I try to compile
it with iasl there is  just a warning about a return value not used. I
am a complete newby in these things, some research make me think that
there may be a problem in APIC:

	Type=INT Override
	BUS=0
	IRQ=0
	INTR=2
	Flags={Polarity=conforming, Trigger=conforming}

	Type=INT Override
	BUS=0
	IRQ=9
	INTR=9
	Flags={Polarity=active-hi, Trigger=level}

I read that IRQ 2 and IRQ 9 (used in acpi0 in my case) are somewhat
linked together. If os, shouldn't they have same parameters? Moreover
in the archives there is a mail stating that PCI interrupt should be
level/lo. I suppose acpi is not on isa bus, so it must be PCI. Am I
right? If so, should I change values? Both flags? I don't care a lot
if I break OS but I am a bit more worried about hardware...

Anyway, now the laptop is usable, I hope this can be useful if someone
else have interrupt trouble with acpi.

Regards

Fred