CPU temp AC vs Battery

Nate Lawson nate at root.org
Tue May 1 19:05:32 UTC 2007

Eric Anderson wrote:
> On 04/26/07 09:52, Eric Anderson wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I've just noticed something very odd.  On my Dell D820 laptop, when
>> running off AC power from boot, by idle CPU temperature sits around 58C.
>>
>> If I unplug the power, and then plug it back in again, it will drop
>> down to around 49-50C within a minute or two.  It will stay there.
>> With or without powerd running.
>

> Another note:
>
> If I boot up without the AC adapter plugged in, it still runs hot.  Only
> the transition from AC -> battery seems to make a difference.
>
> Anyone with some ideas??

Does the temp change at all or is it stuck at 58C?  If stuck, maybe the
reading is incorrect and something in the AC line transition kicks the
EC back into operation.

If it changes, then perhaps something is generating a lot of interrupts
(perhaps SMI or SCI irqs).  More debug prints from the acpi-ca Notify
routine caller would help zero in.

--
Nate