no video coming out of S3

Brian Gruber knightbg at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 13 05:41:38 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'm having trouble bringing my computer out of S3
suspend, and am hoping someone may be able to help me.

The computer itself successfully comes out of suspend
when I press the power button, but the video does not
come back. Reading about this i discovered
hw.acpi.reset_video, which sounded like exactly what I
needed; alas, it did nothing.

Reading further mailing lists, I found mention that
X's DRI could screw this up. So I set up my computer
not to launch X on boot, and rebooted it (since emails
seemed to say that once DRI was loaded, there was no
undoing its affects without a reboot). Still, the
video did not come back.

i'm not sure what to do now, or even what details are
helpful. I will tell you that I'm using an ATI Radeon
QY RV100 7000/VE, and the computer is an IBM NetVista
8307-82U. uname -a:
FreeBSD calvin 6.2-RELEASE-p4 FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p4
#0: Fri Apr 27 16:11:48 EDT 2007
root at calvin:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CALVIN  i386

Also, I've noted that under windows on this same
computer (i have it setup to dual-boot), where S3
works fine, I can bring it out of suspend with both
the keyboard and mouse (both PS/2) as well as the
power button. Probably just an implementation
difference, but perhaps important in a way I don't
understand.

/brian