powerd freeze with amd 5000 X2 but not with lower cpus

Michael Nottebrock lofi at freebsd.org
Sat Jul 28 21:00:31 UTC 2007

Kris Kennaway schrieb:
> On Sat, Jul 28, 2007 at 03:46:15PM +0200, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
>

>> Meanwhile I found a workaround for my system: I had SCHED_ULE configured
>> in my kernel - switching to SCHED_4BSD gets rid of the freezes. Should
>> have thought of that sooner, ISTR having problems with powerd and
>> SCHED_ULE even on single cpu P4s.
>>

> I see you've now learned a reason why no-one should be using SCHED_ULE
> on FreeBSD < 7 ;-)

... and with SCHED_ULE being obsoleted by SCHED_SMP in 7+, it might
actually become the scheduler nobody was ever supposed to be using? It
might still be worthwhile doing some experimenting with powerd and the
different schedulers in -CURRENT, just in case 4BSD ever gets knocked
from GENERIC. :)

Cheers,
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org