powerd freeze with amd 5000 X2 but not with lower cpus

JoaoBR joao at matik.com.br
Sat Jul 28 11:34:00 UTC 2007

On Saturday 28 July 2007 07:10:21 Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> JoaoBR schrieb:

> >> [Jumping in from the thread started on -stable -
> >> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2007-July/036395.html
> >> - see there for system details]
> >>
> >> Same here - in single user mode, even powerd works fine - like it does
> >> with SMP disabled - but no go in multiuser.

> >> The CPU difference is interesting - exactly what model is your X2 4600+?
> >> Mine is a stepping F, model 4B, rev BH-F2 ("Energy Efficient" with 65W
> >> TDP).
> >
> > seems to be the same
> >
> > but I have better news and seems my first idea was right, the MB is it
> >
> > I found a tech info on the manufactor's support site telling cpu support
> > up to 4600+ and found a bios for newer cpus including my 5000+
> >
> > so I upgraded the bios and my CPU now works with smp + cpufreq + powerd
> > on both amd64 and i386
>
> Good to hear. Unfortunately my Mobo's BIOS is already up-to-date, the
> CPU is officially supported and Cool'n'Quiet works dandy in Windows XP
> ... =/

my ok msg was too fast, after some time my video starts flickering and stays
so and the PC is freezed up, disabling powerd and works stable

until it freeze cpu frequency shifting is done well

manually I can set all cpu speeds and seems to stay stable on each

must be related to X because I have some servers without X but
cpufreq+smp+powerd running absolutely stable

I found some msgs about the same problem with Gentoo and Debian and people say
the problem is with xorg and changing to xfree solved it for them but I
myself probably will not risk getting into a nightmare after the /usrX11R6
thing

I have no windows but fedora 7 on the same pc and works fine too,
kde's 'kpowersave info dialog' shows fine the cpu frequency shifting

--

João