CPU fan at 2700 rpm regardless of temp. CPU temp getting to high?

Axel Sjøstedt axel at lambertseterrevyen.no
Mon Jul 23 23:16:43 UTC 2007

Hello all,

I am setting up FreeBSD 6.2 on a computer running Pentium D 3.0 Ghz on a
ASUS P5WD2 Premium motherboard. The machine will work as a server that is
always turned on. It has to be stable.

Using mbmon, I notice that the CPU fan constantly works at 2700rpm,
regardless of the CPU temperature. The temp starts at about 50¤C/120¤F, but
when stressing the machine a bit it quickly exeeds 90¤C/195¤F.

The only way I have made the fan speed change, is by using the "AI Quiet"
option in BIOS. But it just started at 1000rpm, worked its way up to 2700rpm
after some minutes, and stayed there while the temperature was rising much
higher.

I have upgraded to the latest BIOS and reset the settings, and also tried
the Q-Fan option. Nothing worked.

What does this mean? Is 2700rpm the maximum for my fan? Are degrees over
90¤C/195¤F unhealthy for the computer? Any way to get the speed to increase
more properly?

Here is my dmesg: http://axel.pusen.org/dmesg.txt
And here's the output of sysctl -a: http://axel.pusen.org/sysctl.txt

Thanks in advance!