Asus P5W DH Deluxe APIC/SMP IRQ problem

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Mon Jul 9 21:06:56 UTC 2007

On Friday 06 July 2007 06:01:43 am Михаил Кучин wrote:
> Hi people!
>
> Sorry for my bad english. Writing for the first time. I am searching help
> =)
>
> My OS:
>    FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE
>
> Hardware:
>   Asus P5W DH Deluxe MB (ICH7 Chipset)
>   Intel Core 2 Duo CPU (6700)
>   Integrated Netw Card (Marvell Yukon 88E8053 based Ethernet Controller)
>   S3 Trio PCI Video Card (very-very old)
>
> Problem:
>   40% of CPU is occupied by interrupts, in some cases (I tried many
>   ways of solving), I have "Interrupt storm detected" message.
>
>   atapci2 (see vmstat), as I understand, occupies CPU. Here is my RAID1
controller with
>   400G Samsung Disks and other ICH7 stuff.
>
>   I tried to change in BIOS everything, disable everything, re-plug vga
>   card, unplug some RAM. BIOS is fresh: a week ago release. Tried 3
>   different versions.

Try turning off various device drivers (like myk) to see if you can get the
interrupt storm on IRQ 23 to go away.  It is likely a bug in interrupt
routing in your BIOS, but you can use a tunable to work around it, you just
need to figure out which _other_ PCI device (not atapci2) is sending its
interrupts to IRQ 23 rather than the IRQ the BIOS told the OS.

--
John Baldwin