acpi ok but cpufreq not supporting my CPUs

Bruno Ducrot ducrot at poupinou.org
Mon Jan 15 17:08:03 UTC 2007

On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 10:02:06PM +0100, Patrick Proniewski wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a FreeBSD box running 6.2R on 2 dual core Xeon LV (sossaman).
> Vanilla ACPI is supported, and powerd works great. But advanced
> features are unavailable because cpufreq won't recognize my CPUs. For
> example, as acpi will only reduce frequency and not voltage, the CPU
> remains at the same temperature.
> I've read on http://www.daemonology.net/freebsd-est/ that "est" port,
> from where comes cpufreq's "est", won't handle multiple CPUs. Is that
> still true ?

Yes and no.  There are some fundamental changes to be made into
src/sys/kern/kern_cpu.c especially when bi-core comes to the game.
By now, I don't think est is touched by those but I maybe wrong.
I think Nate may have more to say, since anyway he now have such
duo-core IIRC.

> dmesg (part of):
> FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE #0: Sun Jan 14 20:48:28 CET 2007
>
> CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU            000  @ 1.66GHz (1666.79-MHz 686-
> class CPU)
>   Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x6e8  Stepping = 8
>
> Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE
> ,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,
>    CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
>   Features2=0xc1a9<SSE3,MON,VMX,EST,TM2,<b14>,<b15>>
>   AMD Features=0x100000<NX>
>   Cores per package: 2
>

> cpu0: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
> est0: <Enhanced SpeedStep Frequency Control> on cpu0
> est: CPU supports Enhanced Speedstep, but is not recognized.
> est: cpu_vendor GenuineIntel, msr a1e0a1e06000a1e
> device_attach: est0 attach returned 6
> p4tcc0: <CPU Frequency Thermal Control> on cpu0
>
> (same for cpu1/2/3)
>
> Is there anything I can do to make "est" work with the sossaman CPU ?
>
> thanks in advance,

It's not possible, AFAIK, to build a static table for your processor,
and in that case, we have to use an ACPI table in order to compute
a custom table.  If such information is not available, then there
is little hope to make est working, being an SMP problem or not is
not your problem I'm afraid.  It maybe possible you forgot a
BIOS option somewhat so such this configuration will be generated
and exposed via ACPI though, or maybe you have to upgrade to a
newer BIOS.

--
Bruno Ducrot

--  Which is worse:  ignorance or apathy?
--  Don't know.  Don't care.