Asus W5F acpi support

Philip Paeps philip at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jan 4 02:25:31 PST 2007

On 2006-12-28 12:50:48 (+0100), Steve Clement <steve at localhost.lu> wrote:
> In order to do that I would need to get help from some of you that know how
> the acpi_asus module works.

Mmm, I wrote it, but that doesn't mean I know how it works. ;-)

> my identifier is: W5Fm and if I add this to asus_acpi.c:
>        {
>                .name           = "W5Fm",
>        }
> I supposedly get hotkey support:
> acpi_asus0: <Asus W5Fm Laptop Extras> on acpi0
> So it at least identifies itself and seems to work with the very basic.

This just allows the module to attach.  Unless you define the other fields in
the struct, it won't actually do anything much.

> question now is how to get the rest working and what does the rest mean?

The other fields in the structure are the names of the methods in your ACPI
tables which twiddle the LEDs and set the brightness and so on.  If you do an
acpidump, you can read through your ACPI tables.

> And how can I debug what the specific parameter for disp_get / lcd_set is?

I've not managed to find any definitive way to find the parameters.  Just
grepping through the disassembled tables seems to be the only way.

> I can make educated guesses but I guess thats not what a community based
> project is for.

Have you taken a look at the Linux acpi4asus project?  In the past, I've tried
to stay in sync with them, but it's been a while since I last took a look at
their code.  The fact that I don't have a functional Asus laptop anymore has
something to do with that.

Cheers,

 - Philip

--
Philip Paeps                                     100% recycled electrons
philip at freebsd.org

  Everbody wants a pain shot at the same time.