Asus_M2N-MX: on-board nic not found

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Tue Feb 13 23:13:28 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 13 February 2007 16:27, Ion-Mihai IOnut Tetcu wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I have a Asus M2N-MX motherboard (NVIDIA nForce 430)
> http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=101&l3=343&model=1338&modelmenu=1
>

> The bigest problem I'm having with it is the on-board nic, that ain't
> detected at all ( as in doesn't appear in pciconf -vl from what I read
> it should be supported by the nfe driver). It's running PC-BSD 1.3
> world (6.1-RELEASE-p10) and a 6.2-RELEASE-p1kernel.
>
> While acpi-dump'ing the folloing error appeared:
>  acpidump: RSDT entry 3 (sig OEMB) is corrupt
>
> The required debug information is at:
> http://sce-tindy.tecnik93.com/FreeBSD/errors/Asus_M2N-MX/
>
> As a note, the BIOS offers an option to use ACPI 1.0, 2.0 or 3.0; the
> dump is with 2.0 (I didn't see any difference with any of them wrt the
> nix problem, also tested with and without APIC).
>

> Any help is greatly appreciated.

The BIOS is busted.  ACPI is supposed to enumerate all the Host-PCI bridges as
ACPI devices with a specified _HID or _CID of "PNP0A03" and a _BBN field to
indicate the PCI bus number of the immediate child bus.  Your pciconf shows 4
Host-PCI bridges, but ACPI only lists 1.  I would look for a BIOS update
and/or flame ASUS for violating the spec.  There's no standard way to figure
out what PCI bus numbers to use for the Host-PCI bridges, which is why ACPI
is supposed to enumerate them with appropriate _BBN methods.  Your network
device is probably on one of the PCI busses we aren't seeing.

--
John Baldwin