APIC problem

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at c2i.net
Tue Feb 6 22:05:05 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 06 February 2007 16:38, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 February 2007 06:17, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have some problems with a HP pavillion dv2000 laptop. I need to use the
> > following hint to make it work:
> >
> > hint.apic.0.disabled="1"
> >
> > I have currently tested it with FreeSBIE 2.0 (FreeBSD 6.2) and it freezes
> > after the kernel has loaded. I tried to break into the debugger, but with
> > no success.
>
> What if you do 'kern.smp.disabled=1' but leave APIC enabled?  Also, does it
> work ok if you disable just ACPI?  (Does it use APIC in that case, some
> machines don't.)

I downloaded the following image, hence it has KDB built in:
7.0-CURRENT-200702-i386-bootonly.iso

I've tried with and without SMP and it is the same.

If I disable ACPI, then I get a "trap 9: general protection fault while in
kernel mode" just after that "nve0" has been initialized.

Instruction pointer: 0x70:0xffff
stack pointer: 0x28:0xfd0
frame pointer: 0x28:0xf65
current process = 0 (swapper)
>bt
MAXCPU(....)

When I type in "show intrcnt" in the debugger everything looks ok to me. No
extremely high interrupt counts.

What I can add to the description of this laptop is that it has Windows XP
installed on the HDD. And not long ago it didn't want to boot anymore, so I
had to do a "destructive system recovery". I've also noticed that if I don't
use the "ESC" key during boot, to get the boot-selection menu, but just let
the system auto-boot, many times the FreeBSD 7.0 ISO CD will fail with a
corrupt symbol table, when it is loading the kernel. I don't believe it. Can
it be that something resistant has attached to some interrupt vectors? Is
there an easy way I can find out what is using up all the CPU from the
debugger. I tried "ps", but it doesn't show the CPU usage per thread.

Thanks,
--HPS