Supermicro Boot Lockup with ACPI enabled

Sean Bruno sbruno at miralink.com
Tue Aug 21 13:55:22 PDT 2007

Sean Bruno wrote:
>> I am using RELENG6_2 on a Supermicro 5015P-TR that has a model
>> PDSMP-I motherboard.  It currently locks up when booting the system
>> with ACPI enabled in the BIOS and at the same time a card(I've tried
>> an Adaptec 29160, 29320 and a Qlogic F/C 2342) in either PCI-X slot.
>>
>> If I deselect ACPI in the BIOS, the system boots and all is well.  If
>> I remove the expansion cards, I can boot with ACPI enabled and all is
>> well.  I can then dump the DSDT to look for errors.  I don't see
>> anything obvious and I'm not sure how to proceed.
>>
>> I'm looking to see how I can find the error in the DSDT and report it
>> to supermicro, but I can't see anything wrong with the tables that I
>> have attached to the email.  There doesn't appear to be any updates
>> to the BIOS for this system either.  Any ideas?
>>
>> Sean
> I was able to dump the ACPI tables with a pci card inserted by
> disabling the driver for that card(in my case, the ISP driver).  I
> still don't see any reason why FreeBSD 6.2 freezes when ACPI is
> enabled and a card is in the PCI-X slot.  I have attached the full
> DSDT dump, hopefully someone can give me a clue here so I can get
> SuperMicro to fix their box?
>
> Sean

Hmmm...I ran my dsdt through the Intel ACPI decompiler/compiler on a
linux box and was able to get some interesting input, at least I now
know something more about ACPI.  I assume that this warning isn't
causing any severe issues as it seems to be pretty common throughout the
DSDT on my supermicro:
acpi.dsl  3213:                         Acquire (W627, 0x1388)
Warning  1103 -        Possible operator timeout is ignored ^

However the last few look very interesting and most probably are related
to why my machine kind of dead locks when a PCI card is in the PCI-X slot:

acpi.dsl  4044:                 Field (IDE1, DWordAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
Error    4026 -                           ^ Access width is greater than
region size

acpi.dsl  4046:                     MAP,    8,
Error    4027 -                       ^ Access width of Field Unit
extends beyond region limit

acpi.dsl  4048:                     PCS,    8
Error    4027 -                       ^ Access width of Field Unit
extends beyond region limit

acpi.dsl  4986:     Method (_WAK, 1, NotSerialized)
Warning  1079 -                ^ Reserved method must return a value (_WAK)

Any suggestions on how to approach supermicro with this information?

Sean