ACPI problems on Acer Aspire 5003WMLi

Andy Gimblett A.M.Gimblett at swansea.ac.uk
Thu Apr 12 18:02:42 UTC 2007

Hi there,

The Acer Aspire 5003WMLi is a laptop in Acer's Aspire 5000 range.
I've run FreeBSD on one since the start of 2007, but there are some
ACPI issues.  A number of errors appear when booting (see link below),
and the acpidump'd ASL doesn't compile (also see below).

The most obvious emergent symptom is the inability to monitor battery
status.  I have also been unable to get CD/DVD writing to work, and
there are audio issues - though these may both be unrelated to ACPI;
the only errors I see in logs look battery-related.

I've created a web page containing the various debug information
suggested by the handbook chapter on this topic.  It includes:

  - Output of dmesg after boot -v
  - Output of sysctl -hw acpi
  - Output of acpidump -t -d
  - Output of iasl on that dumped ASL

It is at:

    http://gimbo.org.uk/blog/freebsd_acpi_acer_aspire_5003wmli/

I'm running the latest BIOS, and a recent kernel (6.1-SECURITY),
though that's a binary installed via freebsd-update; I'm guessing I'll
need to compile a custom one to debug this?

If anyone can advise me on how to proceed with debugging/solving this
problem, I'd be most grateful, and will co-operate to the best of my
ability.

Best regards,

-Andy

--