No resume on Acer Aspire 5101AWLMi (6.2-RELEASE)

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Mon Apr 2 13:09:53 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2 Apr 2007, Andrew wrote:

 > On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 13:20:00 -0700, Nate Lawson <nate at root.org> wrote:
 >
 > > If you don't get a beep at all, something is hanging before FreeBSD even
 > > gets control.  Try removing extra hardware, compiling out various device
 > > drivers, etc.
 > >
 > > STR is very hard to get right given the wide number of BIOS-specific
 > > bugs that we can't even see from the OS.  Add to that the immature state
 > > of many X/display drivers in supporting resume and you can understand
 > > why even Linux, which has 10x the developers and assistance from Intel
 > > employees still has a lot of the same problems.
 >

 > Hi, thanks for your replies.
 >
 > There is an update: I have found that if I issue "acpiconf -s 3" from
 > the KDE Konsole (rather than the VGA console), the laptop goes to
 > sleep correctly AND it even wakes up. Unfortunately, when it wakes up,
 > all window decorations and fonts are corrupt (desktop background and
 > icons are OK). Killing kdm-bin and X and then restarting them does not
 > fix the problem.

Just checking: have you tried hw.syscons.sc_no_suspend_vtswitch=1 ?
With hw.acpi.reset_video=0 or 1 ?

 > What I find strange, is that KDE seems to make part of the resume
 > process work, while the computer hangs if the suspend/resume is
 > handled only from the VGA console.

This sounds quite familiar to my symptoms getting suspend/resume going
on a Thinkpad T23 a few months ago, and I already knew that *vtswitch=1
was needed for it, thanks to an older post by Nate.

I also found loading VESA necessary when suspend/resuming from a vty,
but those two sysctls is what made it work in X (KDE) for me.  YM will
most likely V,

Good luck, Ian