Bug in 6.1 acpi?

Nate Lawson nate at root.org
Sat Sep 23 12:44:01 PDT 2006

John Baldwin wrote:
> On Friday 22 September 2006 14:12, up at 3.am wrote:
>> On Fri, 22 Sep 2006, Brooks Davis wrote:
>>
>>> [Please don't cross post]

> what

> be

> tried
> Adaptec
> CPU
>>> Have you verified that you're running with the latest BIOS?  On a system
>>> that old, there's a decent chance the ACPI implementation is buggy.
>>> Have you tried running with ACPI disabled?
>> Yes, I did...still had the same problem.
>
> Then it's not an ACPI problem. :)  The bad read/write messages above I think
> you don't need to worry about either.  Sounds more like a hardware issue of
> sorts.

I don't know of any acpi issue that could cause spontaneous reboots.

You can try booting with acpi disabled to see if it helps:
hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"

If that helps, we can try to debug acpi more.  My guess is it won't
change anything.  The bad read/write messages are harmless since we
don't use the RTC.  They're more for the future if we do start using it.

--
Nate